Thursday, December 24, 2015

Moving Week

Sunday I worked 12 hours at Hop Meadow.  We had breakfast with Santa brunch.  The food was amazing!  A few members said they will miss me but wished me luck and thought it would be beneficial to move back.  The d.j. who I have only seen a few times told me he was sad I was leaving because I was one of the nicest ones there.  He also said I would have no problem getting a job in Texas.

Monday at Starbucks I forgot my card at home so didn't have a way to pay for anything.  Alex came in and offered to buy me a drink.  I was very gladly surprised!  It was the perfect day for him to ask!  He also bought me a snowman cookie.

Tuesday I got up extra early to pick up my friend Emily in the next town over.  She offered to help me pack but her car was going to be worked on.  I gave her a ride to my house while her car was getting a make over. She helped me pack from 7:30-12.  Emily packed my things carefully land with care ike they were her things.  She also thought of putting paper and bubble wrap and things that would help.   I appreciated that!  I was going down stairs and back up to get zip log baggies and various supplies. Eventually Pat said just take the whole container up!  Good idea, Pat!  Some things were heavy and we tag teamed getting them down the stairs.  Then, the challenge was getting 11 boxes in my Jeep Compass.  Good thing I had a bigger car than my Civic.  It was like a puzzle but we got the boxes to fit...well, kind of.  We drove super slowly with the trunk open.  We had a hill to go up that made me nervous.  We passed a police car on our 3 minute drive to the post office.  Thankfully he kept going.  We got to the post office where Renee, who worked  there held the door open for us and helped carry boxes in.  I would tell her this one was heavy but she was able to do some heavy ones alone.  Renee said she is used to it.   I am so thankful for everything Emily did.  My friend Jeff at Starbucks said true friends are the ones that will help you move.

Wednesday morning I meet my dear friend Rachel at Starbucks at 7.  I am so thankful she woke up early so we could get together.  We always have good chats.  I asked Tim, one of my Starbucks friends to take our picture.  Tim is a professional photographer.  He took a great picture!
Later that morning, I meet Mike at Starbucks.  It was good to see him one last time.  Again, Tim took a great picture.  He said he would mail me the invoice.

Mark, the church youth pastor came into Pak Mail today so it was fun to see him!

I go back to Starbucks in between Pak Mail and babysitting.  I talked to Alex for a bit.  He always tells me about which Hallmark movie he watched the night before but he said last night he watched the Republican debate.  I asked which side he was on.  Alex said I'm as far from being a republican as you are from being a mass murder.  I said I think that's pretty far (or at least I hoped people didn't  view of me being similar to a mass murder.)  Alex said he is very much a democrat.  We talked about different political issues for a little while.
I got a green tea today.  I just about always get a trienta but it was in a ventie.  The lady calling out the drinks noticed and offered to make me my usual size.  She said it was no trouble so I took her up on the offer.  Then, another girl brought the drink to me.  I do love my Starbucks!  I never thought I could call another Starbucks than mine back home my Starbucks but this is a good one!
Recently, every time I come in workers will ask about when I'm moving and want to make sure this isn't the last time they will see me.  I reassure them that I will probably be back in again the same day.  The other day Caitlin made a super great tea combination drink for me.  I said I need to write this down so I can get it at my Starbucks at home.  Caitlin said save the room on your phone and just stay here.  SO sweet!

Wednesday evening at life groups we hung out outside by the fire for a bit.  Some people made smores.  That is always fun!  Mark came to our life group and he asked everyone to gather around.  He said a lot of nice words about me and how I was a blessing to the group.  He got me a U Conn shirt which was something I really wanted.  He also gave me a shirt that many people had written on nice encouraging good byes on.  Great gifts!  Then, I stood in the middle and a couple of people prayed for me.  It was so sweet!  I requested we take a group picture.  After that Blair helped the girls make a movie.  The girls liked it.  It was a wonderfully sad day!

Thursday morning as I went into Starbucks Geoff and Cindy wrote a sweet message on my drink about how they will miss me.  It was very kind!  I love it when people write on my cups.  When I was in College Station and days I would have a test people would write good luck messages on my cups.

Alex one of my Starbucks friends gave me a nice card and a Starbucks gift card.  He keeps saying I will move back to CT. soon.

That evening was my last day with the sweet girls I babysit.  We went to Chili's for dinner and the girls really liked that!  It will be sad to no longer see them everyday.

When I went back to Starbucks and Nicole added a message to my cup.  I love the messages!

Friday I meet Alex at Starbucks and he got me a "travel pack".  He got me 2 packs of pens because I would always be looking for my pens in my purse.  Alex travels to Europe about once a year and takes great pictures.  At Starbucks he edits all of his pictures.  One time I saw a picture from Paris and I said thats a really great picture.  Alex framed that picture for me and put it in my "travel pack."  It was a great gift!  We asked Tim to take another picture of us.  Alex wanted the picture in front of Starbucks.  Tim took a great picture!
At Starbucks I also had to say goodbye to a few more workers and friends.  Caitlyn, one of the sweet girls said now its her turn to write on my cup.  She also said I have made more of a difference in my 4 months here than most people do in years.  That was very sweet!  I am surprised.  I don't know peoples life stories.  I know names and would care about how people are.  I guess thats all it takes.

Friday evening Pat was working and Todd and I were home.  I left Todd a note saying I'm taking a nap what are your plans.  He responded to the note bike ride and... When Todd came home he said we could go out for dinner.  I told him to pick this time since I picked last time when we went out.  He said okay, I want to go to a pizza place in the town next over but its a really complicated name.  I asked what the name of the place was. Todd said ABC pizza.  So funny!  Todd and I split a lasagna pizza and a Greek salad.  Todd was telling me how a real greek salad doesn't have lettuce.  This pizza place is a family owned by a family from Ecuador.  They had two Ecuadorian dishes on the menu.  Todd said they aren't from Greece they are from Ecuador that is probably why the Greek salad has lettuce.  The pizza was good but did't really taste like lasagna.  I offered to split the meal with Todd. He said sure we can split it you can have this mint and I'll have this one.  He said next weekend you can pay.  It was funny since we both knew I won't be here next weekend.

Saturday I finished my packing.  I saw my sister Erin at the gas station out of all places!  I am turning in my rental car and some friends are having a birthday party this evening.  Erin said she would give me a ride! So kind!
I went to drop off my rental car.  Originally Todd said he would pick me up.  Gabe and I were going to see Star Wars and he said he could pick me up instead.

Later that day Erin and Amy, my sisters came over! Pat had made meatballs that were great!  She also made peanut butter blossom cookies.  They were wonderful!

Erin drove me to my friend Blairs house.  Blair drove me to a pizza place in West Hartford where our friend Phil was having his birthday party.   After that we went to Phil's house for cake.  Kara, Phil's finance and David, Phils roommate made a homemade cake.  Kara bought Haggen Dazs ice-cream and good beverages. This girl, Brigette I had seen the whole night came over and talked to me.  She went to school in San Diego.  She was there the same time I was in Los Angeles.  It was perfect timing to meet her!  She shared a lot of encouraging verses with me.  She knows what it is like to move.  She is going through a move now too.  Brigette was pretty open with me about her life considering we just meet which I was thankful for!  I shared some of my struggles in the move with her too.  She was very helpful!  We were talking in the living room where everyone was.  She said lets move to a quieter place so we moved to another room then other people came in.  Then, we moved up stairs and no one came up there.  I'm so thankful I meet her!  Later that evening we watched some funny You Tube videos.  Then, Alex brought me home it was a group effort to get me around!  So thankful for people doing that!  

I am amazed by how much ones life can change in only 4 months.  I am surprised by how I can start a completely new life with friends, jobs, church, a place to serve, and a great Starbucks community within such a limited amount of time.

There were many places I still wish I could have gone to name a few: the Cape, D.C., Canada, Niagra Falls, and Hershey's, There were relationships that I wish could have gone further while I was here.   I just started to have more of a friendship with my Starbucks friends, and Mikes mom, I would have liked to spend more time with her,  Lon from Starbucks, and my Connecticut parents!

I am so thankful for the things that I did get to experience!  Everyone says I have seen a lot!  I am thankful for multiple trips to New York including seeing the Rockets, I am glad I was able to go to the Culinary Institute of America, and go to Boston.  I am thankful to have gotten to meet and get to know some of my family members better.  I am so thankful that I added a family with my Connecticut family I lived with.

I spent 2 months in France, 3 months in California, 4 months in Connecticut, maybe the next time I go somewhere I will go for 5 months.

I think the saying is true: you can take a girl out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of a girl.  Connecticut, you've been wonderful!  See you soon!  And that's a wrap! 

No comments:

Post a Comment